Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:21:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        francis@usls.edu
Subject:   Re: Cyclades Z series vs. Cisco 2600

> How does the Cyclades Z series system on a FreeBSD machine compare to
> a Cisco 2600 router in terms of async/dialup performance? I'm also
> interested to know why you chose Cyclades over Cisco and vice versa.

I just got one of these in, but I've not had time to play with it.

Basically a Cisco 2600 is a dinky little router with very few overall
resources.  It has a nice 1U form factor that makes it attractive for
tight locations, and of course it's got fewer moving parts than a PC.
I'm guessing that you can get 16-port serial modules for it, although
I don't know...  but if the modules can do 230,400 I'd be impressed,
and I'm fairly sure that the unit would be saturated trying to handle
a few dozen busy ports.

Now, again, not actually having played with the Z just yet, here we
have a card with rack-mountable 16-port breakout boxes.  One PCI card
can handle up to four 16-port modules.  The unit is built with 16c654
(yes, 16650's) and a built-in MIPS(?) processor of some sort, which
means that not only do you have the advantage of larger rx/tx buffers
than most serial devices, you also get real hardware ASIC flow control
rather than the CPU-intervention model used by the 16550.  And you get
the benefit of enhanced 960.8kbps serial ports instead of the 115.2 or
maybe 230.4 most other things provide.  Lower interrupt loads, etc.
All of that is offloaded onto the MIPS processor, anyways...!  In theory
you can throw several of these cards into a PC.  With 5-PCI-slot
machines being quite common, think of putting 4 loaded Z's into a
machine with a dual 10/100 Ethernet, to get a 256-port terminal server
with impressive throughput.  Now, again, all of this is hypothetical,
since I've not actually tried the card yet.

However, I _can_ speak well for your average PC as a terminal server.
It isn't the cheapest possible solution, but it _is_ completely
programmable, and more importantly, the cheapest CPU and motherboard
you can buy new today is many times faster than that Cisco 2600.  It
means that you can do things like packet filtering without worrying
as much about melting the CPU, you can do ssh, write custom stuff,
and if you're using it as a serial console server, you get the ability
to log to hard disk.  :-)

One downside to the Cyclades is that the RJ45 pinout seems to have been
chosen by a dartboard and an engineer with a bad throw.  It makes no
sense to me.  Cisco at least did something useful, even if it was the
exact opposite of an existing standard (sigh).
--
... Joe