Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 20:42:15 -0500
From:      Ashley Penney <ashp@unloved.org>
To:        "."@babolo.ru
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/18275: proposed TMPDIR setting and /usr/bin/mkinittmpdir

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 04:07:06AM +0300, "."@babolo.ru said:
> ashp@FreeBSD.org writes:
> > Synopsis: proposed TMPDIR setting and /usr/bin/mkinittmpdir
> >
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > State-Changed-By: ashp
> > State-Changed-When: Sat Feb 9 15:53:58 PST 2002
> > State-Changed-Why:
> > While this is a nice utility, I don't believe it will ever make it
> > into the base system, as it simply makes something slightly easier.
> >
> > I've closed the PR, as I feel this is something better used locally
> > rather than distributed to all FreeBSD users.  Keep up the good work
> > tho'!
> Sorry, I am sure you are not right.
> The reason I sent one of 2 coupled utilities for
> inclusion in base system and another (ports/sysutils/deleted)
> to ports is that mkinittmpdir is only first step
> in direction we all need. The second step is to
> modify /etc/{shrc,profile,csh.*,login.conf} /usr/share/skel/*
> so on, third - use this functionality in
> system and ported programs so on.
> I have no power to promoute this using language
> (English) I do not know good enough so I wait
> for another person with good English to
> do that. Can you?

Hi,

I think the main problem with this utility is the fact that it changes
an accepted method of performing certain tasks.  We need to maintain
compatability with other UNIXes, and this sometimes hinders us from
performing certain tasks in a smarter way.  While this method of
handling TMPDIR is nice, it would then create a difference between us
and the other BSDs.  I think the best solution at this point is to
submit the mkinittmpdir as a port also.  Once it's a port, and people
can experiment with it, the case for including it in the base system
is likely to be stronger.

However, where possible the new trend seems to be to remove functionality
from the base system and move it into the ports tree, to help make FreeBSD
a light and flexible system.
--
Ashp