Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:53:06 -0500
From:      Daniel Suh <daniel.suh@sympatico.ca>
To:        Lei Ding <leiding@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation problem

Lei Ding wrote:
> Hi daniel,
>   Thanks for your answer. but I even don't have a running freebsd box. How could I make my own custom kernel then?
>   thank you.

Hi Ding,

OK, you gotta install freeBSD first, then create your kernel. I was
under the strong impression that you have installed FBSD. Again, consult
handbook for how to install. Do not worry about your SiS 900 NIC for
now, just install. Kernel customization comes next, not first.

UNIX is not like MicroSoft products. It takes more thinking and
knowledge to pull this through. Get your hands on some books first to
get yourself familiar with UNIX. I recommend "The Complete FreeBSD" by
Greg Lehey. It is bit outdated but still serves as good guide for
freeBSD. If you don't know what you're doing, then this book is your
friend. If you want general UNIX knowledge, then get yourself a "UNIX
system administration handbook, 3rd edition" by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass
and Hein.