Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:27:35 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: -e option to umount?

> That's a cool idea, but unfortunately, it won't work with any hardware I
> know of.
>
> In order for that to work, the CDROM drive would have to generate an AEN
> (Asynchronous Event Notification) and send it to the controller, which
> would have to be capable of functioning as a target as well as an
> initiator.

Hmm.  If SCSI drives are anything like ATAPI drives (and here I confess I
haven't checked), the first I/O after the eject button is pressed will
come back with a marker (eg. check condition) with sense information that
indicates that a user eject was requested.

> Then the controller would have to pass that back up to some process that
> would then unmount the drive, which would also give the cd(4) driver its
> final close and allow removal of the media.

That's pretty much a given part of the media daemon implementation, and
really not all that hard.