Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:15:38 +1300
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrading Ports

Hi - Hope someone can help with a problem I've got upgrading a port.

When I try to do "make all" I get the message ...

>> .tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system

... but I can't see why. Here's what happens.

I currently run Samba 2.0.6 under 3.4-RELEASE. I got my copy of 3.4 off the
CD's and I have never cv'supped although I have installed ports off the net
and dragged in new stuff in the process.

I would now like to go to Samba 2.0.7 (I need to have a W2K machine on the
lan [you know like people need a hole in the head ;-). So ...

I got samba-2.0.7.tar.gz and put it in /usr/ports/distfiles.

I got the port skeleton samba.tar, untarred it and put it in
/usr/ports/net/samba (moved the old contents out somewhere else).

I then did

make clean
make all

The "make all" generates the message

>> .tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system
>> Attempting to fetch from ...

it then tries to fetch something (although it's never quite clear what) from
a whole bunch of systems none of which have it. Finally suggest I get "it"
(whatever "it" is, I thought at first it was samba-2.0.7.tar.gz) and put it
in /usr/ports/distfiles - well I've done that and I still get the same
message.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone ? Has anyone else upgraded samba in
the way I am and been succesful ? I'd appreciate any help.

regards

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46