Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:14:48 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>, Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, rcarter@pinyon.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing FreeBSD 4.0 20000125-CURRENT

> In message <200001272329.PAA02514@mass.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
> : It doesn't do anything to the keyboard, it just calls the BIOS to find
> : out whether keys have been pressed.
>
> I've been seeing the hit <CR> twice fast problem for months.

It's always been a problem; we don't understand the mechanics of it
however.  Susceptibility varies widely between systems, and the best
hypothesis I've been able to come up with is that there are issues with
taking interrupts in vm86 mode; possibly the BIOS is being re-entered in
a fashion it doesn't like.