Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:57:15 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zend Studio - some progress to report.

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 07:39,  the author Gerrit Beine contributed to=
=20
the dialogue on-
 Re: Zend Studio:=20

>Am Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2005 03:17 schrieben Sie:
>> OK I am in touch with Zend and there is some hope that they may
>> collaborate.
>>
>> I will let you know if/when I have something to report.
>>
>> The most interesting file is:
>> ZendStudioClient-4.0.2-Linuxi386_plain.tar.gz
>> I am working with Zend i9n the hope we might get that working.
>
>Hey,
>
>that would be great.
>I like the ZendStudio and if it is possible to make it work again on
> FreeBSD, I'll be really happy :-)
>
>So long...
>
>Gerrit

OK Here is where we are at.

I have reached agreement (see below) with Zend that they will assist in=20
building a freebsd port. The Zend development team is in Israel. The Zend=20
Studio's product manager will be liaising directly with us but he is going =
to=20
be out of the office  for two weeks. There have been a lot of communication=
s=20
and the substance of them is summarized in the following copies:
=46rom me to Zend:  =09

I apologise for not making my understanding clear.

My objective is to help, in the interests of everyone, to ease the path for=
=20
freebsd users to use, and purchase, Zend studio without involving you in an=
y=20
additional development work or testing. Freebsd users would not therefore=20
need you to provide support other than fixing bugs that are also replicable=
=20
on linux. We therefore do not see a need for you to extend your QA beyond=20
ensuring it runs on linux. You may be asking how is that achievable?

=46reebsd in /compat/linux/ extends full linux compatibility. In the freebs=
d=20
community the ports maintainers are usually responsible for building and=20
maintaining the port from linux to freebsd To build the port we require a=20
limited amount of information. After the port is built, your support=20
obligation would be limited to dealing with bugs that are replicable on=20
linux.

If there were questions relating to the port then freebsd users we receive=
=20
assistance on the port via the freebsd ports maintainer. In that way you ge=
t=20
the benefit of extending your potential user base and freebsd gains from it=
s=20
users being able to run an extended range od applications. This is a win x=
=20
win situation for everyone.

How can we reach this desirable state?

Because freebsd has linux compatibility building a port to freebsd for a li=
nux=20
application should not require any modification to binaries unless the=20
developer has made the mistake of hardcoding external dependencies into the=
=20
binary. To build the port for Zend all we ask you to do is supply us with a=
=20
list of its dependencies and information about how we can configure the=20
application so that it able to find its its dependencies. The freebsd ports=
=20
system checks to see that all dependcies are installed on the system, id no=
t=20
dependencies are automatically built and installed, and that the=20
application's configuration file is amended accordingingly.

If you could make a list of dependcies available and let me know how to=20
configure Zend so that it is able to locate any libraries or external=20
binaries it needs then I am sure we can build a working port simliar to the=
=20
one we had for Zend 3.x

It would be useful if we could have a single point of contact or email=20
address, in your development team with whom a freebsd port maintainer might=
=20
be able to work.

What do you think?

Yours

david
***************************************************************8
To which I have received the following reply:

from Shahar Evron=20
 =09
Hello David,

No need to apologize - your point was clear and personally I am very happy =
for=20
such initiatives - I was only trying to explain why Zend is having a hard=20
time helping anyone who wants to use Studio on FreeBSD.

I think this can be excellent for the both of us - I have spoke about this=
=20
with Zend Studio's product manager, and he also agrees that this is a win w=
in=20
situation - he asked that you contact him at [I have withheld his email=20
address for obvious reasons here- david]  and explain exactly what you need=
=20
and he will try to help as much as possible. Please note that he will be ou=
t=20
of the office for almost two weeks, but he asked that you write to him and =
he=20
will try to answer when he gets back.

I also suggest you to try out Zend Studio 5.0 beta - You can read more and=
=20
download the beta version from=20
http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-studio/beta.php - it might work=20
better than the 4.x branch.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any additional questions.
*************************************8

here are my comments:

1. I do not have any experience of building or maintaining ports and feel=20
unqualified to undertake that task. Would someone,  who is both capable and=
=20
willing to come forward please come forward -- we need you.=20

2. I am willing to help in whatever way I can including testing.

3. It would be good if we could prepare an information request that can be=
=20
sent to reach the Product manager in time for his return to the office.

4. I have tested the ZendStudio 5.0 beta and get the same result as I do wi=
th=20
4.x

5. The standard package of Zend Studio 4.x installs the application but whe=
n=20
one attempts to run Studio seems to be unable to load the debugging module.=
=20
When I tried a Zend Studio version without an inbuilt jvm it progressed a=20
little further but still hunf up while trying to load the debugging routine.

6. My impression is that it is hung up either looking for a library or an=20
external binary.

If you wish to help but do not want to go 'public' then please feel free to=
=20
email me direct

thanks

david

=2D-=20
English Owner & Captain of British Registered 60' bluewater Ketch S/V Tauru=
s.
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal afte=
r=20
completing engineroom refit.