Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:13:30 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I rename root?

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 10:33:17AM +0100, Rogier Steehouder wrote:
> On 29-12-2001 15:45 (+0100), Rogier Steehouder wrote:
> > A simple question: Can I rename root?
> >
> > I already renamed toor: no problem. Do any programs rely on the name
> > 'root' being available or is it prefectly safe to use vipw and rename it
> > to 'master' or 'admin'.
>
> I only got the advise: Don't. iThanks for the advise, but since noone
> knew any programs explicitly, I did it anyway.
>
> Besides the user and group databases the following files mention root:
> /etc/aliases		I had already redirected root to my regular user:
> 			no problem
> /etc/crontab		Replaced 'root' with 'admin'
> /etc/ftpusers		Not critical, but added 'admin'
> /etc/gettytab		User for autologin
> /etc/inetd		Don't use it
> /etc/login.access	Small change
> /etc/login.conf		Has a special entry for root
> /etc/rc			Changed 'chown root:wheel' in 'chown 0:0'
> 			(Why isn't it in the first place?)
> /etc/security		Don't use it
> /etc/syslog		Small change
> /usr/local/etc/postfix/postfix-script
> 			Some minor changes
> /usr/local/etc/webmin/...
> 			Starts some daemons as root
>
> My daily security script finds no problems. X runs. I'd say it works
> (for now).

Well, it's your system.
Maybe you have not considered 3rd party scripts.
What happens when you upgrade your system.

My honest view (as a former Unix systems manager) it is a pointless
change that I can see no reason for whatsoever.

But who cares ? You can waste your time anyway you choose to .. :)

Rememeber to tell people that you have done this when you ask questions
in the future about installations mysteriously failing.

--
Regards
Cliff