Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:26:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   groff

I'd like some advice here.  I want everyone else to be able to use the
same groff upgrades I've been using in my own academic papers, but I'm
uncertain how to go about doing it.  Let me give you the background
first, then the question.

mm refers to the memorandum macros (groff/mm), which are used in
conjunction with groff for papers.  There are other macro sets, like ms
and man, but this deals with mm.  mm is not written by James Clark, but
he includes a version with groff, by agreement with mm's author.  The
version included with groff is 1.27, but the latest version of mm that
I've been using is 1.29.

The difference (the main difference that you'd notice) between 1.27 and
1.29 is with tables of contents that run more than one page.  mm version
1.27 massacres them, adding a page with a single line in it, and it
turns out unuseable TOCs.  The fix in version 1.29 seems really well
done, and believe me, I've exercised it pretty hard.

(I could include a sample of code that makes this happen, but since it
only occurs with papers with a TOC larger than one page, it'd have to be
a somewhat large example.  Write me if you want to see this, I can
certainly oblige).

pst has left dire instructions in the contrib/groff directory on how to
upgrade groff, but he doesn't seem to have contemplated someone only
wanting to upgrade one subdirectory (it's a one for one replacement of
maybe 8 files).  The changes are pretty large, so the diff would be
bigger, I think, than just doing a remove on each old file, then an add
on each new one, but this seems to go against those instruction left by
pst.

I asked here once before on this, more than 6 months ago, when I first
wanted to make the change.  I got no clear response.  I know how to do
an import, but when I've done that in the past, it's always been an
import to a place that was currently empty; mm is there now, I want to
replace it with mm.  Could someone give me a hint as what a technically,
and stylistically correct way to do this is?  (After, please, taking a
look at pst's groff/FREEBSD-upgrade file).

(BTW, don't tell me to upgrade groff, it still has the old mm in it, and
we've already got a recent version of groff in the tree.  Groff doesn't
need upgrading, just groff/mm).

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).