Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:00:56 -0500
From:      Charles Reese <reese@chem.duke.edu>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD/News FAQ project.

OK I'm roasted, toasted and convinced so how about some names and model
numbers that will do the job?  I have volunteered to start a FreeBSD-News
"FAQ/ Guide", getting a list of recommended (or NOT) hardware will be the
first thing.  I put together a little questionaire below to make it easy to
respond.   Obviously I'm new to this so I will have to learn as I go along.
If anyone wants to volunteer to edit the FAQ or co-author (or just plain
author) it, email me.  If you have more then one type of anything just dup.
the appropriate section.  You can also put in stuff you know won't hold up
so I can put it into an 'avoid this' section.  Please email me with any
suggestions about what should be added to the hardware questionaire.  If you

FreeBSD Version:
News Software:
Feed Type:
Feed Size (all,partial, etc):
Expire Time:

Disk Drive:
        Company:
        Model:
        Size:
        How Many Req'd:
        Rating:
        Comment:

SCSI controller:
        Company:
        Model:
        Wide/Wide Fast etc.:
        How Many Req'd:
        Rating:
        Comment:

Computer:
        Processor:
        Mother Board:
        Memory:

Any WWW sites you want included in FAQ?

Other comments, stuff I forgot, usefull information to include etc.

I need some way to classify what scale of operation the above setup is
recommended for, but I don't know how 'News' is quantified (articles/day?,
articles/stored? bytes?) so please suggest some measures that might be used
and how your system fits.  I would like to classify the setup portion of the
FAQ into small, medium, large and mammoth.  So small might be a new ISP with
say 100 customers, medium up to 1000, large to 10,000 and mammoth = >
10,000.  As the FAQ will probably be most useful to newbies setting up for
the first time the small, medium sections are probably the most important.

Cheers
Charlie Reese

Charles E. Reese        * Senior Research Associate  *
Chemistry Dept.         *                            *
Duke University         *   Consulting services:     *
Durham, NC 27710        *  Chromatography            *
919-660-1585            *  Chemometrics              *
919-544-7217            *  Isotachophoresis          *
                        *  WWW site development      *
reese@chem.duke.edu     *                            *