Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 17:01:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@unix-ag.uni-kl.de>
To:        K.J.Koster@kpn.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio, nrc and sym questions for NoName

K.J.Koster:

> It seems that the onboard NCR 810 is not recognized by the sym driver.

The sym driver used to require features that were only present in
the 810A and later chips, but not in the ancient non-'A' 810. The
latest versions of the driver in -CURRENT now support all
NCR/Symbios/LSI chips. You can also use the very same driver
(/sys/dev/sym) in 4.0-STABLE. In fact I do. ;-) The changes are
going to be MFCed soon.

> I tried building a kernel without any of the sio things, but it failed to
> link, saying it was missing "comconsole" and "sionattach" IIRC.

The alpha has somewhat different console handling. I guess there's
a hidden dependency between the syscons and serial console code
and nobody noticed before.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                     naddy@unix-ag.uni-kl.de