Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 09:06:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jouke@epsilon.nl (Jouke Dijkstra)
Cc:        ulf@lamb.net, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about Cisco 2503i price

> The 2503i has ISDN indeed. In fact, it's a nice sollution for a router with
> ISDN, though this
> device has the capability to be severe overkill, which you have to pay
> for..
>
> About those moving parts: When you use BOOTP on a FreeBSD server, add
> enough RAM
> so it won't swap, you'll have no moving parts! If you use high quality
> parts (ASUS, PCI (?), a
> power supply you can trust etc), you might have something at least at the
> same level as a
> Cisco..

Booting off the net, you mean?

In that case, it simply becomes dependent on another "unreliable" piece of
hardware - the remote NFS server.

And I'm not particularly trusting of things like PC fans.

Don't get me wrong - I use FreeBSD (exclusively) for routing on my LAN's.
There are substantial benefits in doing so.  However, it does have a "cost".
Since I'm two minutes away from a PC vendor, maybe I don't care though.

... JG