Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 17:30:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "mr. t" <n8412060@cc.wwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with WaveLAN driver

I have booted the WaveLAN PCI adapter together with the PCMCIA card in 3
different motherboards and have found that pccardd will not load and
reports that 'no pccard slots found' At least one motherboard tried had
documentation that clearly said that it was PC99 compliant, PCI 2.2
compliant and had no ISA slots.

The OS I've installed is RELEASE-4.0. The PCI adapter is the WaveLAN from
Lucent and the PCMCIA card is the 'Silver' Turbo 11 card from Lucent.

I noticed that GENERIC had PCCARD options on, ze0 and cp0 absent, and wi
enabled in 4.0 unlike 3.4 where I had to change these (comment/uncomment)
These seemed to be the right settings. I made a small mod to GENERIC and
rebuilt and rebooted. My change was not related to PCCARD, i just removed
the lnc0 driver for my own purposes.

FYI When booting, I noticed the message

wi0 not found

This behavior was also found in RELEASE-3.4 where I started my efforts. I
moved to 4.0 thinking there would be better support including the support
for encryption but found the same behavior. Then I tried another
Motherboard and then a Motherboard which met the exact listed requirements
in the WaveLAN PCI adapter documentation. Results were the same each time.
I also used another card in case there was an engineering defect in the
first WaveLAN unit(s) sampled.

I enabled PCCARD with YES in /etc/rc.conf overrides to
/etc/defaults/rc.conf. I did not modify the pccard.conf other than using
the sample provided in /etc. I also tried 0xe0000 in the mem parameter
according to the device driver author's suggestions and comments but that
did not help.

During boot, the messages from FreeBSD do show that the bridge was found
and assigned it to IRQ 11. But there no messages or expected behaviors
from wicontrol utility or pccardd daemon that let me to believe the PCMCIA
hardware was recognized.

I suppose my next step at this point without further direction will be to
try configuring the PCMCIA product alone in a laptop. I would be trying to
rule out or narrow down my problem to an error in establishing pccard
support properly (which I have never done before in FreeBSD although it
seems very straight forward) or simply a problem related to the PCI-PCMCIA
adapter.

I am not subscribed to this list, If you have a suggestion please email
direct, thank you.