Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:44:04 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Caleb Walker <cwalker@computech-ca.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

Caleb Walker wrote:

> Hello my name is Caleb Walker I am trying to learn the UNIX operating
> system right now.  I am a Windows NT  Network Engineer in California.  I
> am very interested in helping others and being involved in helping
> forward FreeBSD UNIX.  Please let me know what I can do.

Step One: Learn Unix. Notice that I didn't say "learn FreeBSD". Picking up a book on
FreeBSD is great, but a book on just plain Unix is even better. You never know when the
next computer you have to work on will have IRIX, Solaris, Linux or something else. You're
in luck, though, because the various BSDs are closer to the atypical Unix than some other
unices.

Step Two: Don't fear the command line. You don't have to love it, but don't try to avoid
it. You will learn much more about Unix by fiddling with it, than by watching some GUI
front end do the fiddling for you. Learn vi. Learn sh and csh. Then use bash or tcsh.

Step Three: Now that you've learned FreeBSD, don't get too gung-ho over it. Don't get into
fights with Linux users (even if they start it). FreeBSD does not have the popularity of
Linux in part because it was too low-key about itself. But taking the opposite extreme
won't help either. Some of the rabid Linux advocates do more harm than good. When people
ask you have FreeBSD, don't gloss over the rough spots and don't exaggerate the easy
parts. Finally, don't make fun of your former MSCE colleages, or any non-Unix user.

Hope some of this helps,

David