Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:43:45 -0700
From:      Michael DeMan <michael@staff.openaccess.org>
To:        Bill Norman <normanb@surftx.net>, "Kenneth P. Stox" <stox@imagescape.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Rackspace-like provider for FreeBSD?

We can help too.  We run our ISP on all BSD and have plenty of cabinet space
multi-homed on OC-3/DS-3, and staff is all familiar with BSD.

We can either co-locate or provide a box to spec.

We are standardized on a dual PIII/1.2GHz configuration with up to 4GB of
RAM and IDE RAID.  IDE drives are standardized on a specific 80GB model so
even though they have shorter life span than SCSI we keep plenty on the
shelf to hot swap if they die.  The Seagates seem to do quite well, which I
cannot say for the IBM IDE drives.

If we use the same box as I describe above, we have cold spares online and
ready to go in the cabinet.

- Mike

On 9/30/02 10:57 AM, "Bill Norman" <normanb@surftx.net> wrote:

> Bring the service my way.  I support *nix and *BSD OS for my server rentals
> and co-lo's.  I am running a mail-toaster on FreeBSD without any security
> probs at all.  If the boxes are configured correctly, they are the best IMO.
>
> Bill

Michael F. DeMan
Director of Technology
OpenAccess Internet Services