Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2021 13:43:52 +0000
From:      John F Carr <jfc@mit.edu>
To:        Valery Seys <valery@vslash.com>, FreeBSD ARM <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Arm64 Tier 1 FreeBSD 13 Phones

On Apr 12, 2021, at 03:10 , Valery Seys <valery@vslash.com> wrote:
>=20
> I'm affraid that FreeBSD do not run on a PinePhone.
> The dmesg from nycbug comes from a pine64 board, not from a pinephone.

Is it known not to run, or merely untested?  It looks like every Pine devic=
e needs a different configuration.  At $200 it is tempting to get one to ex=
periment on.  Maybe after my current time sink ends in a few weeks.

The original message (subject line) reflects a misunderstanding of what "Ti=
er 1" means.  It means the FreeBSD team will try hard not to break rack mou=
nt servers.  Tier 1 status doesn't make FreeBSD any more suited to phones t=
han Tier 2 status.  It doesn't add device or CPU support.  See all the diff=
iculties with Raspberry Pi.  It doesn't add a UI for a small screen.  The p=
otabi PinePhone project by its own admission hasn't accomplished anything b=
ut starting a UI design.  But maybe by end of year we can have something th=
at works when plugged into a power supply.