Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:07:39 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Shyam <shyamk@eth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gpm in freebsd

On 2002-12-11 15:49, Shyam <shyamk@eth.net> wrote:
> In Linux you can use the gpm for simple but elegant operations :
> lt.click to select/copy and rt.click to paste .
>
> My FreeBSD4.6 install recognised my PS/2 mouse , and I
> can see the mouse pointer , but , what does freebsd's
> gpm use this mouse pointer for ?

FreeBSD uses the moused(8) to let you copy/paste text on virtual
console terminals, just like gpm on linux.  Pasting text is a bit
different than the default behavior of gpm, since it's done with the
"middle" button of the mouse when there are three buttons (or by
pressing both buttons at the same time, for two-button mice).  You can
reconfigure the console support for moused to use two buttons by
building a custom kernel that includes the option SC_TWOBUTTON_MOUSE.

Try looking at the options listed in /usr/src/i386/conf/LINT for more
details about the kernels options you can use with syscons, the
FreeBSD console driver.