Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:57:46 +0000
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        "Aslak Evang" <nyogtha@flipp.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD 5.0, Geforce 440 Go, KDE3.1

"Aslak Evang" <nyogtha@flipp.net> wrote:

>I installed FBSD 5 on my Toshiba laptop a week ago. I've installed KDE =
3.1
>and I'm using the NVIDIA drivers with X. At, what seems to me like, =
totally
>random times, the system locks up hard and needs to be switched off and =
on
>again to work.

I've just tried the driver on a 5.0 desktop with nVidia Ti4200 and I get
similar lock-ups.  I also find that I get no display after shutting down
KDE, so it's back to the nv driver for now.  (Tried turning ACPI off =
etc.)

There's good info and FAQ at:
http://www.thirteenandtwo.org/nvidia/faq.html

>I know the Nvidia drivers doesn't support 5.0, but if I use the regular =
NV
>drivers i get a 2cm wide black line on the right side of my screen...

Have you tried xvidtune? I'm not sure about using it on a laptop display =
though.

John.