Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:07:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        steve@velosystems.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Dynamic DNS problems

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve.

I do not think I will be able to prevail upon them for any changes to the
DNS server.  Like I said, they are committed to MSWin support, and do not
budge unless the problem impacts MSWin support.

I suspect that since they were about to modify my laptop's win2k install
so that it started showing up in DNS, that there must be something doable
on the client-side alone, if only I knew what that was.

I have since rebooted to win2k to look at the configuration panel that was
changed to get the fix.  It is the "advanced" popup under the DNS tab in the
TCP/IP properties (gosh why can't people just use directories).

The suffix list used to be empty, and unchecked, and now it is
populated and checked, as previously described.  Secondly, I have
noticed a checkbox at the bottom of this panel of the form "use suffix
in registration" which might have also been checked during the fix.

While win2k was up, I was able to ping the laptop.  Then I rebooted to
FreeBSD (getting the same IP addr from DHCP) and pinged again and my DNS
entry had disappeared, no ping.  Though pings by raw IP addr work fine.

-r