Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:50:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, alk@Think.COM, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lesstif (motif compatible) package.

> > The problem is that new widgets are a bad idea, in general.  "Compatible
> > with extensions" is a bad thing, and all you really succeed in doing
> > is violating style guidelines.
>
> Unfortunately, that simply doesn't always apply - especially to the
> Motif widget set which has large holes missing.  It's not a matter
> of adding value, it's a matter of trying not to outright cripple
> your UI!

For instance, what do you need to do that isn't in the 2.x widget set?

For something like the "cell phone" UI for the internet phone program,
or the "Sony stereo" UI for a CD player program, there are real world
analogues, and I'd argue that you don't need a GUI toolkit at all -- you
need a graphic artist, and then it's your job as a programmer to "just
make it work".

The problem with real world analogues is that the intersection between
the sets of problems to solve in the real world and in software is
generally quite small.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---