Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 10:35:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Alpha (was Re: COMDEX trip report)

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Oh?  Something you heard at Comdex?  Now that's interesting!
>
> Yes, keep your eyes on the ALPHA/PC market.  I just picked up a 500MHz
> ALPHA Durango system with 128MB of memory and all the trimmings for
> just over $5K.  If I'd wanted a slightly smaller drive or less memory,
> I could have come in well under this.  That's quite a lot of machine
> for not a lot of money.

Just as a side note, check out NekoTek as well (www.alphapower.com). They
tend to be very cheap - a year ago they were even less expensive than
Aspen and Micro Way. I'm not sure if that's the case anymore...

And keep your eyes no Digital's "Personal Workstation" line - they all
ship with the CPU/chipset on a daughter card, so you can swap out your
PPro and boot with an Alpha :-)  I have a development model right now, and
it's damn fast even with a PPro plugged in..

> > > 1) Dead architecture.  :-)
> >
> > That sounds a _little_ harsh.
>
> I only believe what I read in PowerPC News - You know, that
> publication that closed its doors with a dirge in the last issue for
> the PowerPC architecture, citing insufficient interest even among its
> most principle sponsors (IBM / Motorola) and a failure to live up to
> all the promised increases in performance these last 3 years.

I'm curious, has the "PowerPC Platform" spec been released now?? I know it
has been long awaited since it's suppose to finally open up the PowerPC
clone market, and provide a standard for multiple OS machines... And can
you buy one of these machines yet?

Also, has anyone heard anything from Exponential Technology lately? Are
they actually going to pull it off?? The last I heard they were
predicting the first chip to appear in 2nd quarter 97 running at 300-400
MHz, promising a 500MHz by late 97 / early 98. Are they on track? When I
checked 2 months ago, they still hadn't put any of the design to silicon
(or galium arsenide I suppose forthe bi-polar logic). Also, did anyone
ever figure out what they were doing with that patent that let them share
instructions sets in registers? The press seemed to think they were
working on hardware emulation for the x86 (making it a PPC 615 decendant I
guess) or the 680x0 .  They seem to be the only company offering anything
interesting in the PowerPC line these days... I'm just not confident that
it will happen.

If the breakthroughs happen with the PowerPC (Exponential, 500 MHz,
PowerPC Platform, BeBox) it could be a worthwhile chip to support. Until
then, however, I think I'd like an Alpha port of FreeBSD! The Alpha is the
fastest chip, and don't think they're about to stand aside and let some
upstart PowerPC manufacturer to shoot past them ;-) Also, considering
DEC's recent attempts to get into bed with Microsoft, and the pressure now
being placed upon NT for "only being 32-bit", I think the Alpha may
be well on it's way to becoming a competitor in the 'PC' world =)

Of course, if I could boot between MacOS, BeOS, AIX, NT, Linux,
(?FreeBSD?) on a PowerPC Platform machine, I'd definately own one of
those!

One more thing: wasn't Terry doing something with FreeBSD and PowerPC's ?

cya,
-Mark

| Mark Mayo		  mark@quickweb.com       |
| RingZero Comp.  	  vinyl.quickweb.com/mark |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch