Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 07:58:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Tony Ardolino <tony@netcon.com>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Netware client for FreeBSD]

(somewhat offtopic for net so followups may be best taken to chat, but
just to make the important point so more people don't get tricked into the
MPL without fully understanding some of its bad parts...)

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 1.) Free distribution for non-commerical use only.
> > 2.) A enhancements must be returned to FreeBSD.
> > 3.) Commerical  use or Resale requires a license from NetCon Corp.
> > 4.)  NetCon Corp. will always own NetCon Software and all clanges.
> > 5.) Cannot be ported to any other platform Like SCO, or Sun.
>
> I don't think you'll get any canned license with quite this many
> subclauses already written out, but a good starter point would
> certainly be the Netscape Public License, or NPL.  It sounds to me

Just be very careful with the NPL because it has a somewhat hidden patent
clause that has a horrible impact on anyone from any medium to large
company, University, etc. trying to contribute.  Essentially, it requires
that if you contribute a change to any part of the code, you give a
license for any patents that you (ie. your company if this is done as part
of your job) holds that are used _anywhere_ in the code, not just in the
section you modified or even looked at.

Because of how you can take parts of MPLed code and use it for other
things, this in some ways ends up giving people rights to use your patent
for any completely unrelated code they want.