Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 22:06:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        jmz@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fetch *really* needs a man page!

> We can't ship 2.1.5-RELEASE with ncftp gone and fetch totally
> man-less, can we?  That would be terrible, since we'd be essentially
> tossing a lot people at a new utility without giving them the
> slightest idea of how to use it.  I do know that a lot of people use
> ncftp right now, and if they're told that fetch is better (and I think
> that it's at least more generally capable) then they'll switch, but
> not without a man page! :-(

*Preach it brother*  *Amen*  *Hallelujah*

(For those whose humour meter didn't catch this, I'm stating my
agreement to Jordan).

I just found out what a *HUGE* security hole active-mode FTP can be, so
it's now disabled in my internal net.  Using IPFW, there is no way to
make our systems secure if I allow outgoing-only FTP given the necessity
for FTP-DATA (port 21).

So, I must setup fetch to do 'passive' mode, and on a whim I tried
'fetch -p', which worked, but it was a shot in the dark.

On that note, is there anyway of setting a 'KNOB' which will make sure
fetch *always* does passive-mode on the ports?  I set FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS,
but it appears that it's not intended as a 'global', but rather for
individual ports to use.

Nate