Date:      Mon, 04 Aug 1997 12:35:05 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

>> Agreed, emphatically...  But there _was_ no debate on this issue, at
>> least none in a public forum.  Tcl8.x just appeared out of nowhere.
>
>I think it's an acknowledged point that this could have been handled a
>lot better, and it's my hope that we can still come to some agreement
>as to how to handle this now, I'm just trying to keep everyone's back
>fur reasonably smoothed down in the meantime or we're only going to
>spend the next week shouting at one another.  Take it from someone with
>far too much experience with the latter.

Ok. I hope my own whinging isn't being interpreted as
"yelling". I'm really just trying to raise the issues involved
and actually discuss it "rationally", if such is possible.

You mentioned earlier that moving release into its own
top-level tree would be a problem, but other than having to
get users (the very very small minority of whom need to build
their own sysinstall or package a release) to cvsup a
"release-all" distribution, I see that movement as a major win
with a very large number of users. This is simple cost vs.
benefit. IMHO, this is probably bogus anyway - we already
handle "secure", "eBones" and other similar distributions in a
manner that users can seem to get a handle on without too many
problems. Adding a distribution into an existing cvsup file
takes 5 seconds, and most of that is waiting for /usr/bin/vi
to load. :)

If/when sysinstall experiences the metamorphasis that you
mentioned into one or more administrative tools, perhaps it is
better to leave it there under src. Or maybe not, I'm not so
sure that these tools will have to be bound to releases and
CVS tags and that, like sysinstall, they track the entire
system regardless of branch. Please, think about it.
Personally, I don't even care where it is in the repository.
What I am concerned about is why and where things get
installed. If components are only used by the install and
administrative tools, then they should be built when building
those tools, not during a "make world", and they should be only
visible to the things that need them. Putting them out into the
installed system is where things become problematic.

In any case, if this is the only problem in such a
restructuring, then perhaps some consideration could be made
to move libtcl, libdialog, libncurses and whatever else these
tools use into the src/release (maybe src/admin, later?)
hierarchy, and only build static libraries which are linked
locally and not made part of the installed FreeBSD system. It
is *this* part that causes all the headaches for end users.
Maybe a /etc/make.conf variable can be set to follow the
current practice of installing them and shared libraries into
the tree for those who wish to do so, although I can't see
the ports/packages system relying on this, since this is where
the conflict arises. Providing it should be relatively cheap
in any case,a nd I'm willing to bet that very few, if any,
will actually use it.

I'm quite prepared to do all of the work involved if you wish
to go ahead with this. I'll also be happy to test it by
building a release and so on. Just say the word. Yes, it is
*that* much of a headache for myself and others. :-)

Like I said, I don't care about bloat. What I'm attempting to
look at is how to resolve the problems from the user-end side,
and ultimately simplify things so that FreeBSD isn't stuck half
in a time warp from 1994 and earlier with large quantities of
stale and unsupported software in its default binary distribution
as we do at the moment.

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/