Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 22:49:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, cau@cc.gatech.edu
Subject:   Re: Philips CDD2000 CD-R works as HP-4020i

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 1) can I use it as a CD reader, by putting in a standard CDROM ?

> This is a known problem.  The device functions either as a CDROM drive
> (if you don't assign it to worm0) or as a worm, but not both.
> According to Joerg, this is not trivial to fix and so he hasn't done
> it (or maybe it's relatively trivial but he just doesn't have any
> time, rendering it non-trivial in a different sense :-).

Oh, i didn't say it this way. :-)

The code is even already _supposed_ to allow reading the CDs, but it
plain simply doesn't do it.  Of all the people using a CD-R by now,
they all seem to have a working CD-ROM drive anyway, so nobody has
been bothered enough by that bug to really look what it is, but
everybody just simply preferred swapping the burnt CD-R out into the
CD-ROM drive...

The only thing that's more difficult to add (without duplicating all
the code) is the CD-ROM driver ioctl ``add-ons'' like eject and play
support.

--
cheers, J"org