Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 10:58:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        core@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this could sort of be of interest to us, too..

> Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.bsdi.announce
> From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
> Subject: WEB: BSD/OS hardware information archive
> Sender: tomh@metrics.com (Tom Haapanen)
> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 01:41:37 GMT
>

> I am often asked to recommend a high performance machine for BSD/OS.  Uses
> for this kind of beast include:
>
> * A timeshare system for a bunch of X Terminals (or PCs or Macs).
> * An NFS file server (data <EM>will</EM> come out of it at Ethernet speed).
> * An Internet information server (dns, http, ftp, gopher, veronica).
> * An Internet data processor (nntp, smtp, uucp).
> * An Internet terminal server (slip, ppp, bbs).
> * An Internet gateway and possibly firewall (bgp4, rip{,2}, hello).
> * An X workstation (maybe with a multi-screen display).
> * A mix of the above if you can only afford one big host.
>
> This text assumes the use of BSD/OS 2.0, and some of the hardware I
> recommend does not work on other systems or on early versions of BSD/OS.
> Caveat emptor.
>
> The information is available on the Web at the following URL:
>
> 	http://www.vix.com/pc-hw/bsd-os-hwconfig.html

I have read Paul's web pages, and it has some good information but it
is extremly (not just slightly) BSD/OS centric.  He is still staying
away from PCI as the only supported PCI board they have is the bt946 :-(.

He recomends 3COM ethernet cards since that is there best driver, while
ours is defanitly the if_de driver for PCI cards or the if_ed for ISA
cards.

I would clone his pages and make them ``Accurate Automation'' pages,
but that would be serious copyright infringement :-(.  If my business
contiunues to grow at it's current rate it will be feasible for me to
increase my internet bandwidth and start a www server here that would
be ``FreeBSD'' centric.

PS:  Am I get over commercial on the mailling lists?  I have been a
little worried about some of my postings about what it is that I
do and grabbing every person I see looking to buy hardware.