Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 1995 23:42:23 +0100
From:      Andras Olah <olah@cs.utwente.nl>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lmbench 1.1.5 vs 2.2-current

A few comments on the TCP lmbench results:

In my view, the slight increase in TCP latency is partly due to the
increased processing required by T/TCP.  I haven't done any tests,
neither did I count the extra instructions, so I cannot give a specific
figure of how much is this overhead.  I don't think it's significant.

As for the throughput, I collected a trace with tcpdump.  It turned out
that the 0.21MB/s throughput is caused by an interference of the 16384
byte MTU of the loopback i/f and the Nagle algorithm.  The transfer was
running in a lock-step, when a few segments were sent and then the
sender was waiting for a delayed ack (~200ms).  This situation is
described in a recent IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking in the context of IP
over ATM.

Using the TCP_NOPUSH socket option increased the bw to 2.9MB/s on my
noname 486/40MHz.  I guess TCP_NODELAY would do the same.

Andras

P.S: I don't have lmbench at home (where I did the test), but a program
bw_tcp by L.M. from 1994 which I believe is a precursor of the lmbench
package.