Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 07:23:59 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jason@homewood.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 Installation / Boot Manager

Jason Gilbert stands accused of saying:
> I can however boot using the boot.flp and then at the boot: prompt
> typing    wd(1,a)/kernel.  This seems to boot the system and things
> work.
>
> My long question turns out to be;  Where is the boot manager?

On the second disk 8)

Boot DOS as per normal.  From your favorite FreeBSD FTP site, in the tools
directory for 2.1, grab the 'bootinst' and 'boot.bin' files.

Make a full backup of your DOS system (or at least have handy a tool for
resurrecting your MBR if things go wrong).

Under DOS, booted from your harddisk, run the 'bootinst' program, and let it
install the boot.bin file on your first harddisk.  This should work OK.

> Also, can I run the installation program on boot.flp again without
> corrupting the files already on the drive?

That depends on what you do with it.  The installation program is actually
on the harddisk as well, it's /stand/sysinstall.

> Jason Gilbert

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[