Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 19:46:25 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, brent.welch@sun.com, n1epo4tl@ibmmail.com
Subject:   Re: ports/mail/exmh

> --------
>
> FreeBSD Ports people
> CC 	Jordan, 	brent.welch@sun.com (EXMH author),
> 	Stuart.Arnold  n1epo4tl@ibmmail.com
>
> Below is a new port (wrapper): ports/mail/exmh
> ( EXMH is a very nice X-Windows front end to the mail/mh package,
>
> ( This is a more polished version of the one I did in December,

But still untested.. :-)

root@time-> make
>> exmh-1.6.5.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.aud.alcatel.com/tcl.
/tclexmh-1.6.5.tar.gz: No such file.

The MASTER_SITES field needs a trailing `/', which in this case
doesn't really matter anyway since it points to the wrong directory! :-)

I believe that Alcatel has always put code like this in the `code'
subdirectory, where one will indeed find the exmh package.

The BUILD_DEPENDS are also entirely wrong, and force gratuitous
repacks of both the TCL and Tk ports (hint - you have to match shared
library names properly, as is done in other ports).

Oh yeah, they're also not even supposed to be there - we use
LIB_DEPENDS and EXEC_DEPENDS instead now, remember?  The entire ports
tree switched over quite some time back.

Anyway, if you manage to get past all of that, you'll fall over
in the build anyway here:

===>  Building for exmh-1.6.5
make: cannot open Makefile.
*** Error code 2

You forgot to set NO_BUILD since everything for exmh is really done in
the install script.  Also, don't ignore the return status from wish -
it's important!  You don't want to run `post-install' if the install
falls over, do you?  That'd look pretty funky.

> There are likely a few things Satoshi may want to rearrange to conform with
> bsd.port.mk, but the port is functional, & includes all the packages stuff.

No, actually this port is almost a textbook example of how to do
almost everything completely wrong!  Kids, do NOT try this at home! :-)

I think you need to go back over the ports collection again and learn
from some of the examples.  This port is in absolutely no shape to
commit, much less use.

Oh, and I'm actually be somewhat surprised if Brent were genuinely
interested in any of this - we're talking about FreeBSD's `ports
encapsulation' of his product, after all, and that's something likely
to be of interest only to other FreeBSD ports weenies.

                                       Jordan