Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 23:12:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com (Bill/Carolyn Pechter)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xinside's Motif

As Bill/Carolyn Pechter wrote:

> > > I guess I'm gonna have to send my money to
> > > Lazermoon. They have a native FreeBSD port of Motif for $100.00.
> >
> > Don't do it.  It's not really worth the money.  In short: it sucks.
> >

> Is that the SWIM or the Moo-Tiff rom that sucks... if so -- what problems
> have you seen.  I just purchased it here...

SWiM.

It's been a bit ago that i've installed it, so this is from mind:

. The installation script has been smashed together lovelessly.  It
  didn't allow for an installation anywhere outside /usr/X386, but
  in insisted on it.  (For good reason: people who've been installing
  it there reported that their imake templates have been trashed.)
  There are numerous subtleties that are wrong in the installation,
  like not checking for the existance of certain directories (or even
  automagically creating them) before installing the stuff.  Our
  solution? -- Your problem!

. The entire package made the assumption that it would be installed
  under /usr/X386, and failing that, that /usr/X11R6 must be quite
  the same, and the only solution could be to symlink both.

. Nevertheless, their shared mwm hard-referenced something like
  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.2.0.1 (the actual number might differ, but
  it was three-digits, the path was hard-coded, and it didn't point
  into /usr/X386 like the rest of SWiM).

I think there were more subtleties that totally upset me by that time,
but i forgot them.  I've quickly put the floppies aside, and i'm damned
sure that i'll never touch'em again.

Their promised CD-ROM never arrived.  Since i've also heared the
horror stories from other people, i gave up in my original intention
to even ask or mail them.  I figured it being waste of time.

--
cheers, J"org