Date:      Sat, 4 May 1996 03:28:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, ccd@stampede.cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: ccd offset, please review + test

>  * And /dev/sd237c should _not_ be used.  You should manually go add a
>  * /dev/sd237a and use that for the ccd, this should eliminate your problem.
>
> For the whole slice, or with an offset?  In other words, is sdXc
> special because of its name, or because it is the only partition that
> starts at the beginning?

It is special because it is RAW_PART.

> Wait, the latter doesn't make sense, all the machines here have the
> root filesystem starting at offset 0 (within the slice).  So you're
> saying sdXc is special because it has the letter `c' in it?

It is special because it is RAW_PART.  The other part of the puzzle is
that newfs saves space for a label/bootstrap when newfs'ing partitions
starting in cylinder 0, so I was wrong, it is safe to use sdXc as a
file system.  It is this protection in newfs that you loose on the ccd.

>  * Conventient, but wrong to do.  UNIX has reserved xxYc for as long as
>  * I can remeber, using it for file systems is a sure fire way to burn
>  * yourself.
>
> Well I don't think that is true, the SunOS machines I was
> administering back in Tokyo (about 6 years ago) didn't mind us using
> sdXc for the whole disk.

You have lost write protection for your disklabel, not a grand idea...