Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:47:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      garyh@agora.rdrop.com (Gary Hanson)
To:        kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Mersenne Primes

> 		This sound like great fun as well as being
> 		a good challenge for the teckkies among us.
>
> 		I guess it would be asking a bit much for a
> 		P5 to go up against an XMP (or whatever it was
> 		that Slowinski used).

There was some data in the first announcement that I saw about the
project (or perhaps on the web site) that *in this application*
4 Pentium 133(?)s = one Cray. One of the points of the project is that
a whole horde of 486es and Pentiums can do work traditionally associated
with supercomputers (the RSA-129 factoring project is another example).

  --Gary Hanson