Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 1996 13:03:38 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vadim Kolontsov: BoS: Linux & BSD's lpr exploit

In message <199611021833.KAA00905@cwsys.cwent.com> Cy Schubert writes:
: How about an LPRng port?  Then it would be up to each individual
: sysadmin whether to use a possibly more secure non-BSD print
: subsystem or the existing insecure print subsystem.  The port could
: disable the BSD LPR/LPD by filing off the s and x bits.  If the the
: sysadmin opts to pkg_delete the LPRng package, the BSD print
: subsystem would be re-enabled.

If you'd like to port it, go for it.  However, unless there is a good
and compelling reason to disable lpr/lpd, it won't happen.  They are
too entrenched in the BSD culture to go away by fiat.

LPRng is incompatible with LPR/LPD at the protocol level, from all
I've read.  It would be good to have it as a port, but too many places
are using lpr/lpd in mission critical applications to just junk them.

It would be a better effort, imho, to fix the security problems in
lpr/lpd than to go to a new, untried system the security aspects of
which are at best poorly understood (relative to lpr/lpd).  I know
that the OpenBSD folks have been doing security audits of the code
looking for things that could run afoul in the current lpr/lpd code.
Unless they give up as being an intractible problem, I'd be very leery
of punting on lpr/lpd altogether.

Finally, if you know of any specific weakness in lpr/lpd that hasn't
been addressed, please do let me know.  Saying it is insecure vaguely
is not as useful as being specific :-).

Warner