Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 12:31:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > > Humm... let me see... if I get this right (I don't use sysinstall, but
> > > I have seen this X/1/1 translation thing it does) sysinstall defaults to
> > > a X/1/1 translation, and even goes so far as to write that into the
> > > MBR on a ``dangerously dedicated'' install.
> >
> > This was what phk recommended as proper "hint" values for libdisk in

...but turns out to be the worst suggestion he could come up with. :)

DD mode works with anything of at least 15 spt.

> > the dangerously-dedicated case.  What would you suggest instead?
>
> As ``hint'' values I would suggest X/64/32 (C/H/S) for SCSI drives,
> for IDE, well, hummmm...

Don't worry.  Anything with at least 15 spt will work.  IDE drives get
their BIOS geometry from the BIOS setup anyway, not by implying some
semantics to block 0 of the first disk.  (This implication as it is
apparently done by some SCSI controllers seems to be a big crock to
me, but oh well, we're in a PeeCee world here.)

X/64/32 is okay.  Basically, Jordan, the entire message is a big
bogosity at all.  I've always been annoyed by it.  Why not leave it
alone in the DD case?  (NB: i _don't_ advocate for the latter change
for 2.2, but for 3.0-current.)

--
cheers, J"org