Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:54:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple run-levels (was: Re: /etc/init.d/)

Terry Lambert writes:
> > > *run* in several *states*, which *could* be represented by seperate
> > > run states.
> >
> > No, they are not 'states'.  A state is something that you transition
> > to/from, and very few of your configurations are actually 'states' that
> > are transitioned to/from.  Either you're undocked, or you're not.  You
> > don't transition only from 'docked/undocked', but you *are* either
> > docked/undocked.
>
> This is silly; are you claiming that I don't "dock" and "undock",
> that my machine is only ever turned on when I am "docked" or
> "undocked" instead?

No, I'm stating that you don't transition from one state to the other
the same way everytime.  You can move from 'undocked w/serial networking' to
'docked w/ethernet networking', *OR* you can move from 'undocked
w/serial networking' to 'docked w/serial networking'.  There is no
'state machine' that describes the list of states.  Instead of states
you have a jumbled mess of configuration, which doesn't map well with
'run states'.

As always, you've got a hammer, and everything in the world looks like a
nail to you again.  The solution you propose is not remotely applicable
to the problem faced.

Every problems with FreeBSD is resolvable to:
1) FS layering
2) Run levels
3) VM86 mode
4) CVS tree locking
5) Not letting anyone who shows interest hacking the code.

Ie; all of Terry's abilities resolve to something in the above class, so
all of the problems must be solvable by the above solutions.

Nate