Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 1997 23:37:38 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft brainrot (was: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf)

> [long list of requirements for packages deleted]
>
> Doesn't RPM already deal with much of this?  An entire book (over 500
> pages) is available on the design of RPM - and they've been kind
> enough to also put it online at http://www.rpm.org (there is a link
> from the front page).  It would be a pity to just ignore all the work
> that has already been done; at least we should be able to snarf the
> good parts of their design, if it isn't good enough to use directly.

Learning from the RPM design is a good idea, but it doesn't go far
enough.  I've mentioned the SGI 'inst' facility before, and I'll do so
again.  Ignore the interface, instead focus on the basic structure of
the system; the hierarchical organisation of components within
packages, packages upon media, etc.

mike