Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 14:29:13 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: FreeBSD firewall questions

At 12:22 PM 2/15/98 -0800, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>John T. Farmer writes:
>> 4.	In almost every instance that one of my client's have installed
>> 	a cross-over cable between two Ethernet devices, they have ended
>> 	up replacing it shortly with a hub.  Why?  If you have two
>> 	machines wired together, soon there will be a reason to be
>> 	able to connect up the laptop from work, or Junior's PC, or...
>
>One more reason.. often the dual 10BaseT/100BaseT PC cards fail
>to auto-detect the correct speed unless they are connected to a
>hub (in my experience). Not sure exactly why this is... maybe it's
>a function of the general amount of traffic.

I've found the 3C595 requires a reboot for autodetect to change from
10 -> 100 and vice versa.  The Intel Pro 100B can do this on the fly
from 10 -> 100 or 10 -> 100 duplex and back.  This was was with a
Intel 3205 switch, so it may have been that they played nicer together,
but the 3C595 would not change on the fly with a 3Com switch.

This also worked with a cross cable and was the same for FBSD and
NT/95 (amazingly).

And I expected to reboot.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
mountin.man@mixcom.com