Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 20:34:00 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        marcus@vue.co.za
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux ?

John S. Dyson wrote:

> Much of the time, when people might say "Linux is faster than FreeBSD",
> it is likely a manifestation of the conservative filesystem metadata
> update policy of FreeBSD.  This is (and don't let nay-sayers try to
> convince you otherwise) a carefully considered and wise policy on the
> part of the original BSD development group.

[ rest of filesystem discussion deleted ]

My apologies for posting a somewhat unrelated followup to this thread...

Is there any specific reason why ext2fs would be inefficient at handling
large files (on the order of 1 meg and upwards to a few hundred megabytes)?

We're doing some development which results in very large blobs of binary data
being bandied about, and I couldn't help but notice that FreeBSD machines
constantly seem to outperform higher specced Linux machines when doing
arbitrary file and directory manipulations (moving, removing, etc.) on these
large files, or even when merely accessing these files repeatedly.  Sometimes
the difference is more than an order of magnitude.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878