Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:48:57 GMT
From:      ruth moulton <ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Email [was: Squid will that be fried ?]

Sue ,

 > Please, if you must use Netscape or any microsoft or other nonstandard email
 > application, first ensure that:
 > 1. You have thoroughly studied http://www.lemis.com/email.html
 > 2. You understand what it says
 > 3. Your email app (or whatever) is set up to comply, and
 > 4. You know how to use it to ensure it complies

Sue - what do you mean by a 'non standard' email application ? -

I read the document you suggested. It mentions there are RFCs which
are the standards for Internet e-mail, but not which ones.

People might be interested to know there are three basic standards

SMTP - RFC821 - this is the mail transport protocol - it specifies
how to send mail round the network - for most people it's not
very interesting - but this is where the basic line length limit
comes from

RFC822 - this is the basic format of a mail message - it defines
the headers (TO:, CC: etc) and a simple body made up of us-ascii
text (i.e. the message itself). This was fine for when it was
written, but nowdays we expect to be able to ship more complex
messages, for example a scanned image, a word file, forward another
message, a notification that a message could or couldn;t be sent,
and also use other character sets than good ol' us-ascii - our
friends from russia, scandinvia, spain, france, israil, japan...
will tell you why!

 > Also make sure that it doesn't send
 > out HTML or any other attachments, whether it tells you it's sending them or
 > not.

and finally we have

MIME - RFC2045-2049. This defines how to encode non us-ascii text and
attachments so that they can be represented in ascii and hence
sent by rfc822, and also how to devide the single 822 body into
multiple parts using ascii separators.

(There are a few more that give further refinements to MIME).

These documents are available by anonymous ftp from ds.internic.net
or http://www.internic.net/ds/

RFC stands for 'request for comment', they're the documents in which
the internet standards are defined.

So, the point of all this verbage is that is perfectly OK to
send attachments (What email.html says is don't send them
unnecessarily), as long as they conform to the MIME standards.

To send and receive them your email user interfaces (user agents in
e-mail jargon) must be MIME enabled.

I'd rather encourage the use of MIME, ultimatly it enables a
much more intelligent e-mail service, not discourage it, but it
does need to be adhered to properly (unlike some of the stuff
I've seen from MS). I suppose the real problem is that MIME and
RFC822 are both extensible and what MS do nowdays is define thier
own proprietry extenstions that are legal by MIME standards, but
unusable to non MS software - I'll join you in trying to ban
this stuff!!

ruth

Ruth Moulton            ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Consultant

65 Tetherdown,
London N.10 1NH, UK     Tel:+44 181 883 5823