Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 18:15:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file://localhost/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> From past experience, "SEE ALSO" is there to list a lot of
> stuff that is even harder to understand than the current man

Well, now you have new experience.  ;)

> There must be a set of attitudes and behaviours that can improve just
> about anyone's use of man pages. I'm starting to think that the act of

Yes; persistence and a willingness to experiment.  :)

A lot of the people here haven't had any formal computer
training, and a lot of what they've learned has been from
manpages.  Persistence and wide reading does pay off.  Trust me.  :)

> solutions would be alternative man pages for newbies that encourage their
> correct use and transferrability of skills, or a carefully planned

I'm not sure that's a solution.  Manpages don't suddenly become
easier to read once you've learned some minimum set of knowledge.
Manpages are really meant as reference material and are usually
ill-suited for use as anything else.

The tutorial idea is good, though.  Something at a higher level
than just "this is how to write a shell script".  Find a
qualified volunteer to write it, now.

[Don't even ask!]

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.