Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:28:23 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, mestery@winternet.com (Kyle Mestery)
Subject:   Re: SMP not working anymore

... snip ...

> >> I have a dual PPro Micronics motherboard (W6-LI), and it works fine.  I am
> >> running a kernel from June 3rd now, but I have tried a kernel from June 7
> >> with no problem (including John Dyson's SMP changes).  If your mptable is
> >> hosed, I wonder if something else in your BIOS is hosed maybe.
> >
> > Well I had that exact probelm with my TYAN S1662D board too, until I
> > upgraded to TYAN latest BIOS (v5.01). The problem seem to be nonstd
> > entries in the mp tables. However if you comment out the two
> > panics in mp_machdep.c the system will run just fine and ignore the
> > bogus entries...

My system board is a W6-LI. It is a Micron Millennia system. According to the
Micronics web site, I have to get a BIOS upgrade from Micron. For whatever
reason, I have not been able to download the BIOS update; it gets about 18%
done and then dies, consistently in the same place. I'm sure that means
something. Anyway, I commented out the mpfps Base Table Hosed panic lines in
mp_machdep.c but now I get "panic: no BPS" upon bootup. As I said, this system
had been working fine with SMP for about a year. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Shorty after I sent this, I finally got the BIOS image downloaded. I flashed the  ROM, rebooted, and now have two PPros working again. For what it is worth, the BIOS revision I had was:

	PhoenixBIOS Version 4.05 W6LI-S01 (does not work with SMP)

The one that I now have is:

	PhoenixBIOS Version 4.05 W6LI S/NH-02 (works with SMP)

This may only be relevant to the Micron Millennia version but maybe this information will be of use to someone else.

Would it be worth my while to try John Dyson's SMP changes? Thanks.
--
Glenn Johnson
Technician