Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 06:20:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer)
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord with 3.0-CURRENT ...

>  cdrecords checks for Posix async I/O and uses it if it's available.
>
>  This was implemented by John Dyson in FreeBSD, but it isn't by default
It checks for the Posix fixed priority scheduler implemented by me,
but only checks the "this feature is supported in some configurations of this
OS" and not "this feature is supported in this configuration of the OS".

In my opinion, this is likely to happen for common POSIX features and those
features will have to be made standard instead of changing the programs
to try to detect run time configuration.

It is already tough enough to implement feature detection in portable programs.

Since this is a small option I think I will make it standard.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval