Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:59:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        garyj@muc.de
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11R6 and CAM (??)

[ CCing this to -ports instead of -current, since it's a ports issue really ]

Gary Jennejohn wrote...
> "Kenneth D. Merry" writes:
> >Gary Jennejohn wrote...
> >> This looks like xsysinfo. I munged it to work with libdevstat (basically
> >> stole the code from iostat :) and sent the changes to the maintainer.
> >> Unfortunately, he's currently doing his compulsory military service and
> >> doesn't have time to look at my changes :(
> >
> >Well, how about doing something like putting the devstat patches for it in
> >the ports tree?  That will probably do until the author has a chance to
> >merge the changes in.
> >
> >You might want to make the build procedure autodetect devstat, so it will
> >work with either the 2.2.x releases or 3.0.  I'd recommend doing something
> >like:
> >
> >.if exists(/usr/include/devstat.h)
> >CFLAGS+= -DFREEBSD_DEVSTAT
> >.endif
> >
> >Or something like that.
> >

> I do check, but I use /usr/lib/libdevstat.a, since I need the library :)
> If I find it then I munge Imakefile to add -DHAVE_DEVSTAT and -ldevstat.
>
> I could commit the changes, but I thought we were supposed to be nice and
> let the maintainer have first crack at 'em. Maybe this policy has been
> waived for 3.0-R ?

Oh, I have no idea.  For instance, I mailed Oliver Fromme, the maintainer
of the tosha port with the latest CAM patches for tosha.  That was a week
or two ago, and he hasn't responded.

I suppose I should either just commit the patches, or get someone who's a
little more ports-savvy to commit them or something.

So what do we do when the maintainer either doesn't respond, or is too busy
to handle it?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry