Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 22:18:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@guardian.fortress.org>
To:        "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for...

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, John T. Farmer wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:35:31 -0700 Ulf Zimmermann said:
> >On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 09:50:39PM -0400, Andrew Webster wrote:
> >> I'm looking for an ISDN dual channel type modem that would either have
> >> 	- 2 Serial ports or 1 ethernet jack
> >> 	- Receive V.34 / V.90 or ISDN calls on either one or both channels
> >>
> >> The USRobotics I-Modem only has 1 serial port, so it's kinda useless.
> >>
> >> I guess the nearest equivalent would be a 2 port Livingston PM-3.
> >
> >http://netgear.baynetworks.com/
> >
> >Look for RT328 ISDN Router. Cost $269 at several places. Has U Interface,
> >2 POTS, AUI and TP.
>
> Ulf,
>
> Read the question again.  He's looking for a box that will physically
> connect to an ISDN BRI line _and_ accept ISDN or analog calls (upto v.90)
> as a host.  As a "modem box" the nearest equiv. is the 3com/USR MP-8/i
> box.  Handles 4 BRIs, accepts ISDN or analog calls & presents them on
> 8 async serial ports.  The nearest "ethernet" box that I know of would
> be the Ascend Max1800 with a digital modem card in it.

The only snag with these products are the huge pricetags attached to them!
Looking at the small number of chips involved in the Portmaster-3, it
can't be all that expensive to make a 2 port version.   This would fill an
idea niche between dropping tonnes of cash on a PM-3 when you only need
2 or 3 of these boxes attached to BRIs.

> Does anybody have experience with using MVIP bus or similar
> Computer-Telephony cards under FreeBSD?  I've often thought that a nice
> low-density RAS system could be built around FreeBSD and some of these
> cards.  It would require one or more cards to interface to BRI or PRI
> circuits, a pot of DSP-based digital modems, and some processing power
> to switch incoming call to either the modems (analog calls) or ISDN
> calls to another sub-system (Ascend calls them HDLC processors).
>
> John

Andrew Webster                              andrew@pubnix.net
Key fingerprint =  CF E8 16 B8 A6 DB E3 C9  83 E7 96 24 25 58 15 6E
PubNIX Montreal    Connected to the world   Branche au monde
P.O. Box 147       Cote Saint Luc, Quebec   H4V 2Y3
tel 514.990.5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514.990.9443