Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 20:57:53 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: The necessary steps for logging (the problem is fixed)

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 09:32:54AM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:

> Both spaces and tabs should count as white space. Should this be
> submitted as a bug?

In the comments on thsi one that I've seen so far, I've seen only
justifications of the program operating in accordance with the manpage.

I think the real question is: Does syslogd's use of only tabs as
separators, and not whitespace as with many other conf formats,
contribute anything to the flexibility of the conf file?

If it does, someone should explain how, so that we can settle down and
be happy with the current behaviour. If not, _then_ we can discuss
whether teaching syslogd to accept whitespace as separators may be
useful.

Anyone with intelligent comment on the usefulness of using only tabs as
separators and not whitespace, as is the norm for many conf formats?

Ciao,
Sheldon.