Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:53:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Pointers on FreeBSD Presentation.

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Robert Sexton wrote:

> What have I done?  I've offered to give a FreeBSd presentation to the
> local Linux Users group.  At first I thought I'd give the standard
> "Why FreeBSD is good" spiel that I give to my customers.  I realize
> that they generally trust me, so I don't have to work so hard.
> However, the User group guy has asked me to 'Compare it with Linux',
> which leaves me a little cold.  I'll have an opportunity to install it
> from scratch, to show it off.  I though I'd put the emphasis on 'BSD',
> with FreeBSD as a particular, Intel/Alpha oriented branch.
>
> I had been thinking along these lines:
>
> 1.  Loose history.
> 2.  Install it over ethernet from my machine.
> 3.  Why its good for admins:
>     like most of the other BSD's.  Administration is simpler.
>     Easy maintenence via cvsup, make world, etc.
>     ports.
>     compatibility with Linux/SCO/BDSI binaries.
> 4.  Demo cvsup.
> 5.  Install a port.
>
> Any other ideas?

Along the lines of a cooking show...

After the cvsup, start a "make buildworld"

Have another machine with an already built world on hand...

show them how after buildworld, you can mount the /usr/src and /usr/obj
dirs and do upgrades as simply as:

(after starting NFS on the client/servers)
mkdir /usr/src /usr/obj
mount buildserver:/usr/src /usr/src
mount buildserver:/usr/obj /usr/obj
cd /usr/src
make installworld

One of the greatest assests to people managing labs or farms of
FreeBSD boxes imo.

the same "install/upgrade server" can be done via ports.

Also explain the concept of the entire distro being stable or
current and maintained, instead of "should i grab this RPM or
this newer BETA" it becomes: "well they just put it into stable,
i guess it's time to buildworld..."

-Alfred