Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:40:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        fullermd@futuresouth.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup

In article <19990903165747.J18814@futuresouth.com>,
Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd@futuresouth.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 05:32:10PM -0400, a little birdie told me
> that W Gerald Hicks remarked
> >
> > I find it more useful to use CVSup to maintain my local repository
> > and use CVS to check out from that.  Why?  cvs log, cvs diff, etc.
>
> 'Screw this make cleandir crap, newfs /usr/src, cd /usr && cvs co src.'
> 'Let's do a build on RELENG_2_1 overnight just to prove we can!'

You obviously have way too much free time. :-)

> 'Let's only CVSup once for both src/ and ports/'

You can do that anyway.  Remember the "*default" lines in the
cvsupfile only set defaults; they can be overridden for individual
collections.  For example (omitting the irrelevant boilerplate):

    *default tag=.
    src-all  tag=RELENG_3
    ports-all
    doc-all

will get you the current versions of the ports and docs, plus the
-stable source tree.

You can even get two different versions of the source tree in a
single run.  Just make sure you tell CVSup to put them in different
places:

    src-all tag=RELENG_3 prefix=/usr/stable
    src-all tag=.        prefix=/usr/current

The only thing you can't do in a single run is contact more than one
server.  Maybe some day ...

> And, my personal favorite,
> 'Look at this 750 megs of space I have sitting around!'

You mean _had_ sitting around. :-)

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron