Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 19:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), thyerm@camtech.net.au, ru@FreeBSD.org (Ruslan Ermilov), cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: top with < 1 second delay (was: cvs commit: src/bin/sleep sleep.1 sleep.c)

> :>>
> :>> Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no
> :>
> :>     top is kinda cpu-heavy.  Occassionally I'll use 's0<return>' just to
> :>     watch the display go nuts, but beyond the laughs having a less then
> :>     one second update time isn't all that useful for top.
> :
> :I think that depends on what you're looking at.  I could imagine that
> :people look at other things besides the CPU time breakdown.  I
> :personally think that it would be a useful thing to have.
> :
> :Greg
>
>     Well, as I said, top can be very cpu-heavy, especially on machines
>     with a lot of processes.  So if you are going to allow < 1 second
>     top the feature should be restricted to root.
>
>     systat, vmstat, and iostat are not cpu-heavy and one could allow
>     < 1 second operation with those programs without the root restriction,
>     though I would impose a 1/10 second minimum.

I don't see a need for any such restrictions, a user can also type
while true; do done and achive about the same thing as top -s0.01.

Presently you can run top -s0, it doesn't kill a system, it just
drives la up to 1.  And even this old slow doggy P100/16MB box
running 5 xterms, gated, xntpd is still usable for typing this
email message while top -s0 is running :-).

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net