Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 14:17:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Daniel <john@cell-works.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Cosmic 665 <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>, cwalker@computech-ca.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good unix books [was: FreeBSD]

I want to do "stuff" and I want a book to show me how to do these things
and why with out drowning me in dry detail. Of course my dry detail is
someone elses vital fact.

I came to freebsd because i needed it to use it for work.  The person who
introduced me to it was/is a "RTFM" guy but more and more I find that
there isn't a manual that a beginner can go to and get stuff done.

i like freeBSD and I like the people that use it.  But it can be
frustating getting the hang of it.  for me a computer is not much goood
with out applications and the ability to get work done. Printing,word
proccessing, surfing,emailinh, sharing files with computers on the network
are
essential. But it can be hard to get those basic functions done. For
example, recently I started a 3.3.4 box and started installing ports to
get some functionality.

I installed X,KDE,Netscape, Gimp and got them to work after a fashion(
more experience configuring them will help ) and I'm working on vnc,
samba, wordperfect ,lpr, xpdf.

vnc installing the port doesn't install vnc you have to install. it with a
file in one of the sub directories.  If it wasn't for James on the newbies
list i would still be struggling trying to figure out why it didn't work.(
Thanks James)

samba need to get the damons running and configured.

Wordperfect down loaded. need to figure out how to update the MD5 file so
the match the release I downloaded.So I can get the install to complete.

xpdf same as wordperfect

lpr set it up once on another box need to do some reading.

What i want from a book on unix is how to turn Freebsd once it's installed
into a working whatever. I'd be interested in seeing Sue's book though I
think she'd be better of writing booklets on how to take a basic set up
and turn it into gateway workstation, game station, file server or
whatever so what you get is what you want. Oh and How about something on
figuring out what the heck what went wrong when something doesn't work
that's generally how I learn the most. How about a nice booklet on
scripting so i could figure out out how to break stuff that ain't
fixed....rant ,rant

RTFM some days I can't even find the manual.
Nuf said. :-)

"I hope that after I die, people will say of me : " That guy sure owed me
a lot of money."

-JH