Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:39:06 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any porting effort

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 10:05:58AM -0400, Robert Withrow wrote:
> I'm working on a port that apparently would be much more general, in that
> it isn't *targeted* at any particular architecture, and in particular
> would be easily ported to embedded systems without any of the typical
> things you find in the g3 and g4 systems.

One of the seen purposes of a FreeBSD/PPC port is as a development
machine for embedded systems work.  Especially if those systems were to
run some form of FreeBSD.

One of the reasons to only target one platform (grouping G3/G4) is kernel
device support of the hosting PPC system.  The fewer bits to worry about
the better.

> Are you keeping an *official* repository of code?

Yes, it would be merged into the official FreeBSD CVS repository to live
beside our i386, DEC Alpha, UltraSparc[64], and IA-64 bits.

> Also, are you willing to see your port modified to emphasize
> portability?

The "on the surface" answer is of course "YES".  But, of course more
technical details would need to be seen to see what bits would be
appropriate and which would not.

> Either way, I'd like to get access to your work today if possible.

We are starting out, so you're at the ground floor.  :-)

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)